Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Homemade Pasta Sauce

Being the forgetful person that I am, I need to record this recipe in my own blog for easy reference in the future. I've made this sauce years ago using my aunt's recipe. But since I can't really recall much of the ingredients used, I googled and found this recipe. Did some modification to it using whatever I can recall from my aunt's recipe which I think is easier. 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 carrots, 3 stalks celery, 2 big onions, 3 tomatoes, 2 large cloves garlic - all roughly chopped
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • 1 medium can tomato paste
  • 1 handful fresh basil
  • Freshly ground black pepper & salt
  • No sugar added Apple juice
  • Dash of olive oil
  • 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  1. Heat the sauce pan with some olive oil and saute the garlic & onions.
  2. Saute all the vegetables for a few minutes.
  3. Add in tomato paste, basil and bay leaves. 
  4. Add apple juice (adjust to desired consistency)
  5. Simmer for 1 hour
  6. Season to taste. I added some dried mixed herbs too.
  7. Remove the bay leaves and blend it. 
  8. Taste the sauce and add 2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
    > This will help to mellow out the acid from the tomatoes, round out the flavor and give the sauce a nice silky finish
  9. You can store this in sterilized bottle and freeze for future use.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Ziyi's next Birthday