Being the forgetful person that I am, I need to record this recipe in my own blog for easy reference in the future. I've made this sauce years ago using my aunt's recipe. But since I can't really recall much of the ingredients used, I googled and found this recipe. Did some modification to it using whatever I can recall from my aunt's recipe which I think is easier.
- 2 carrots, 3 stalks celery, 2 big onions, 3 tomatoes, 2 large cloves garlic - all roughly chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 medium can tomato paste
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt
- No sugar added Apple juice
- Dash of olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat the sauce pan with some olive oil and saute the garlic & onions.
- Saute all the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Add in tomato paste, basil and bay leaves.
- Add apple juice (adjust to desired consistency)
- Simmer for 1 hour
- Season to taste. I added some dried mixed herbs too.
- Remove the bay leaves and blend it.
- Taste the sauce and add 2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.> This will help to mellow out the acid from the tomatoes, round out the flavor and give the sauce a nice silky finish
- You can store this in sterilized bottle and freeze for future use.